Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Non-Bookish Websites


Thank you to the folks at The Broke and the Bookish for hosting this fun Top Ten Tuesday meme each week! Many other bloggers’ picks on today’s theme can be seen here.

Websites I Love That Aren't About Books

I really like this week’s theme – websites we frequently visit that aren’t related to books. However, I have to admit that my first thought was, Are there any? But once I got to thinking, it didn’t take long to come up with several non-bookish sites that I rely on for inspiration, fun, and to keep up with all that’s happening in my world.


Unterwegs (translated "on the way")
I’m so proud of my daughter, who has led a campus ministry in Tübingen, Germany for eight years! It didn’t take long to discover that the best way to keep up with her is to visit her Facebook page. She speaks German fluently, so while I can’t understand her comments, I can enjoy the pictures she posts – of student activities and places she visits in Europe.



McDonough Christian Church
My church has a great website that I regularly visit to keep up with activities and upcoming events. It even has a very active social media section called “The City.”



Spark People
Anyone interested in losing weight or maintaining a healthy lifestyle would enjoy Spark People, a totally free health website. I’ve used it for years to track nutrition and exercise (I hate to exercise, so I’m not always successful in this area). There’s also tons of community boards and I’ve made some good friends within the Christian community. It’s all about mutual support and encouragement.



Nancy Leigh DeMoss
A big part of my online time is spent on inspirational/teaching sites and Nancy Leigh DeMoss is one of the best. I either listen to her daily radio broadcast or read the transcripts.



Liz Curtis Higgs
Liz Curtis Higgs periodically does Bible studies on her blog that are so much fun – a blend of teaching, humor, and beautiful graphics. The above link is to her most recent one on the “one another” passages.



The Brooklyn Tabernacle
Listening to sermons by Pastor Jim Cymbala at The Brooklyn Tabernacle is a most enriching experience and I’m so glad these are available online. My church even sent me to a music conference there when I retired and I got to rehearse & sing with the famous Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir, but that’s another story!



Acorn TV
I am such a huge fan of British drama and mysteries that I was ecstatic when I discovered Acorn TV. I love to peruse their website and decide what shows I want to stream on my Roku.



LANG
I discovered a love for art while searching online for pictures to use in my computer jigsaw puzzle game and have amassed quite a collection over the years. The LANG company makes a lot of their calendar images available as wallpaper and I’m always eager to see each month’s new collection.



Mikki Senkarik
One of my favorite artists is Mikki Senkarik, whose Southwestern and Mediterranean paintings are so vibrant in color. I love following her blog where she shows the step-by-step progression of her artwork, giving advice to other artists also.



PicMonkey
PicMonkey is a great, user-friendly website for photo editing that I use almost every day.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these sites! They look very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent variety of sites, Carole!! I am fascinated by your daughter's ministry - will have to check it out for sure :) And yay for Picmonkey! I spend a lot of time there :-D

    ReplyDelete